Tänään on 18.11.2018 18:32

Kaikki ajat ovat UTC + 2 tuntia

Aloita uusi ketju Vastaa viestiin  [ 6 viestiä ] 
Kirjoittaja Viesti
 Viestin otsikko: Euthanizing small animals
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 4:45 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

First, I want to say that I am glad to see such frank and open discussion on the subject of putting down sick or otherwise undesirable mousies. I use car starter fluid which comes in a spray can, and is usually made with ether which is a great anesthetic. The starter fluid has other toxic ingredients, but that is a moot point, as the point is to humanely kill, not to reawaken after some medical procedure.

From personal experience, (I worked with guinea pigs decades ago in a medical research setting and needed to learn for my own peace of mind what the animal would feel) with medical grade ether, it stings for about a half a second when inhaled, but almost immediately numbs all the mucosa in eyes, nose, mouth, and lungs. It takes about 30 seconds for the average size mouse to become unconscious, and only a few minutes for death to occur.

One does have to be careful about not inhaling the stuff while using it, but adequate ventilation, gloves, and this little trick:

First I put the creature(s) in the bottom of a can with a tight lid, such as a coffee can, the small the better. I put several paper towels in a sandwich size zip lock type back, close the bag as much as possible around the can, and spray into the toweling until I see some liquid form inside the bag. I then quickly open the top of the bag, put it in the coffee can, and quickly put the top on.

I wonder if anyone has used laughing gas (N2O) for this purpose.

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 15:54 
Poissa
teroittaa hampaitaan

It's important to be apple to discuse these thing too in here. :)

We use bottled carbon dioxide (CO2) gas, which we let in a little plastic box. Mice are put in the plastic box and it takes about the same time (or even shorter time) as your method to get the mice unconscious. After lieing few minutes inside the box mice die while being unconscious. Very fast and humane way.

The whole system looks like this:
Kuva
(I'm using HannaS's picture as an example.)

Maybe someone else can tell you more detailed version of this method if you became intrested. :)

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko: Cyradish-on euthanasia
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 18:22 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

I should have said that I read a lot of the discussion in the Finnish language section. (It was a combination of frustrating and funny.) So I posted right after that to let folks know about my method of dispatching mousies when they need that. One of the reasons I did this is that I have heard that the CO2 method is painful and takes minutes for the mousies to become unconscious. But I am quite open minded on the subject. I'm not in general opposed to small animals being used in whatever way, be it medical research, or in breeding. I grew up in the country, with farmers for relatives, so I do believe that an owner has the right to do as they like as long as it is done humanely. Personally, I don't think I could use any of the methods that require the final blow be delivered directly to the mousie by my hand, as I love my mousies very much. But it is that same love that requires that I give them death when that is the humane thing to do.

Thanks for responding to my posting, Cyradish. I am looking forward to getting to know you and others in this hirifoorumi!

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko: Re: Cyradish-on euthanasia
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 18:37 
Poissa
tsamppiooni

Kuvat: 77
moustress kirjoitti:
One of the reasons I did this is that I have heard that the CO2 method is painful and takes minutes for the mousies to become unconscious.

Not true, something has been done terribly wrong if that happens. Done right, the mice lose consciousness in seconds. Death follows in a couple of minutes (in some cases it's instantaneous, though).

Profiili Oma albumi  

Viestin otsikko: Good to know
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 18:49 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

Well, I may have to try it then. That way I can avoid geting even a tiny whiff of starter fluid. It's pretty nasty stuff! I'm tempted to try laughing gas on the mice...I know it's easy to get the same kind of cartridges as CO2 is sold in.

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 01.09.2009 19:17 
Poissa
tsamppiooni

Kuvat: 77
We have quite strict laws about what is allowed to be used in euthanizing small animals. CO2 is pretty much the only allowed option that regular pet owners are easily able to acquire and use for that purpose.

Profiili Oma albumi  

Näytä viestit ajalta:  Järjestä  
Aloita uusi ketju Vastaa viestiin  [ 6 viestiä ] 

Kaikki ajat ovat UTC + 2 tuntia