Tänään on 20.09.2018 7:21

Kaikki ajat ovat UTC + 2 tuntia

Aloita uusi ketju Vastaa viestiin  [ 6 viestiä ] 
Kirjoittaja Viesti
 Viestin otsikko: Big english typ mice
ViestiLähetetty: 07.02.2007 0:11 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

I wounder if you have some realy big mice in Finland? Some Swedish breeders is looking for some big one´s, colours doesn´t matter - just the size.

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 07.02.2007 15:44 
Poissa
genetiikkaguru

Well, with some colours you can get size only if colour doesn't matter. That is, you may get a big black mouse, but the mouse is more likely than not a poor black.

As a rule, light varieties can get big and be of good colouration. These include pew, black eyed bone, beige, champagne, silver, dove (+ these in tan), fawn...

Dark varieties of good colour stay smaller. It's a simple question of genetics, pigment and the effect of pigment on the mouse's size.

The English fanciers, judges and good old mouse fancy books know this - but somehow elsewhere there seems to be an idea of "English type = big size and that's that" seems to run rampant. It was rampant here, too - until we invited English judges over and suddenly mice with excellent colouration, good type and smaller size were put to win over (Swedish judges' favourites) huge but plain coloured mice... That was well over a decade ago.

Both light and dark varieties (+ marked ones, exceptions are allowed for very difficult markings) can have a very good English type. Type is never simply "big size" and a huge mouse can have poor type (for example "bunny ears", narrow head, hunched back, square tail...) and a mouse of (let's say) average size can have excellent type.

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 07.02.2007 15:47 
Poissa
genetiikkaguru

aaaaand in addition to ranting, I could as well answer your question :hammas:

Yes, we do have big mice. In the varieties where the combination of big size and good colour is possible. ;)

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 07.02.2007 21:58 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

Thank you Nod - I´ll tell the 2 breeders that asked me to ask you if you hade some realy big mice...

For me the size isn´t so importnant ;) - I want to have good typ.

I know that I asked you how I should do if my black tan´s was beeing smaller and smaller.. but it wasn´t because I want to have bigger mice, I like the small ones. It was beacuse I heard that I had to think more aboute the size and that black tan often was smaller in size. But after your answer I haven´t thought about the size of my mice - swedish typ or english - I want good typ, good colour thats more importnat för me.

But now it´s me that likes to go over to you and visit - so they ask me to look for different kind of mice. Mini, realy big and so on...

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 03.03.2007 11:00 
Poissa
genetiikkaguru

Continuing my previous post:

Mice aren't "built" to be large animals. While one can breed them to be very large (for mice), the size does come with a price to pay: longevity.

A very good example of this was found here in Finland years ago. One breeder really put on an effort for large size with her line of pew and bec. She succeeded quite splendidly. Her mice grew quickly and they grew large. When I say quickly, I mean the size of my 4 month old average does at 5 weeks and the size of a large adult at 2 months of age. They grew a bit more after that age, too.

Sounds good so far? By six months they were looking old. I'm not quite certain how old they got, but they did not live long. That's not all, turned out the does had to be mated at two months or they didn't get pregnant. Needless to say, the line didn't last long after the great size was achieved.

Profiili  

Viestin otsikko:
ViestiLähetetty: 04.03.2007 1:26 
Poissa
rakentaa pesää

This was realy interessting to read... I guess that the breeders here that want big mice soon will notice this for them self. And I´ll tell them this - and then it´s up to them if they want to listen or not...

Profiili  

Näytä viestit ajalta:  Järjestä  
Aloita uusi ketju Vastaa viestiin  [ 6 viestiä ] 

Kaikki ajat ovat UTC + 2 tuntia